Sapphire has captured the hearts of many around the world for centuries. Its allure and stunning range of colours empowers the wearer.
- the birthstone of September.
- the traditional gift given on 5th and 45th wedding anniversary.
- considered good luck to the wearer.
- a precious gift to a newborn baby; brings good health and happiness.
- the chosen engagement ring option by the royals and celebrities.
Scientific facts helps us to identify the gemstone as sapphire and whether it has gone through any enhancements. Unheated natural sapphire consists of following facts.
- Moh's Scale of Hardness: 9
- Refractive Index: 1.762 - 1.770 (birefringence 0.008)
- Specific Gravity: 4
- Pleochroism: Dichroic (two hues such as blue/violet-blue/grey)
- Inclusions: Feather, needles, 60/120 degree silk, fingerprint
- Crystal System: Hexagonal / Trigonal