Sapphire has captured the hearts of many around the world for centuries. Its allure and stunning range of colours empowers the wearer.
Natural sapphires are suitable for daily worn engagement rings.
Corundum (the gem family of ruby and sapphire) is the second hardest gem material in the world, second only to diamond. This means sapphire can only be scratched by another sapphire or a diamond. This also means that unlike other coloured gemstones, contact with dust, which contains high quantities of silica will not scratch a sapphire.
Corundum also has excellent toughness and no cleavage which makes them tougher than diamonds. This means that sapphires are not prone to cracking, chipping or breaking and is in fact a more durable gemstone than a diamond for this reason.
These qualities make natural sapphire a highly durable gemstone suitable for an engagement ring. Natural sapphires are also stable under normal wearing conditions such as light, heat and common chemicals. However, even mild acids like lemon juice can damage fracture-filled sapphires. Read more about treatments here.
The other important factor about having a high hardness in sapphire compared to other coloured gemstones, is that higher the hardness, higher the quality of polish. Therefore sapphire lustre is much higher than that of other coloured gemstones.
These factors make sapphire the most suitable coloured gemstone for an engagement ring that is meant to be worn everyday.
Scientific facts helps us to identify the gemstone as sapphire and whether it has gone through any enhancements. Unheated natural sapphire consists of following facts.
- Moh's Scale of Hardness: 9
- Refractive Index: 1.762 - 1.770 (birefringence 0.008)
- Specific Gravity: 4
- Pleochroism: Dichroic (two hues such as blue/violet-blue/grey)
- Inclusions: Feather, needles, 60/120 degree silk, fingerprint
- Crystal System: Hexagonal / Trigonal
- the birthstone of September.
- the traditional gift given on 5th and 45th wedding anniversary.
- considered good luck to the wearer.
- a precious gift to a newborn baby; brings good health and happiness.
- the chosen engagement ring option by the royals and celebrities.